Nat’s Kiwi and Basil Mojito
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 2 kiwifruit sliced
- 120ml of sugar syrup
- Juice of 4 limes
- 200ml of white rum
- Crushed ice
- Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1. Place basil leaves, kiwifruit and sugar syrup in a glass. Using a ‘muddler’, crush ingredients to combine. Add lime juice and rum and muddle a little more.
2. Pour liquid into a cocktail shaker and add ice. Shake for 30 seconds.
3. Pour into desired cocktail glass and serve.
1. Stir water and sugar in a small saucepan, over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool.
2. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
1. You may have to taste this tasty concoction along the way as there needs to be a balance between the sweet and sour.
2. Sugar syrup is great for using in cocktails, but also great to add to smoothies, iced coffee, fruit salads, coulis and in making sorbets.
3. The term ‘muddling’ in the cocktail world means to crush and mix ingredients in the base of a glass, by pressing them with a ‘muddler’. A ‘muddler’ is a long, traditionally wooden, pestle-shaped tool and the mashing process brings out and combines the flavour of the ingredients before the mixture is topped up with liquid to finish the cocktail.
No comments yet.