Rich Chocolate Brownie Cake
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup dark Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 150g good, bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Brush a deep, 20cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and side with baking paper.
2. Combine the sugar, sifted flour, cocoa and nuts in a large bowl. Add the chocolate and mix to combine; make a well in the centre.
3. Pour the combined butter, essence and eggs onto the dry ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are moistened and mixed together well.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out almost clean (it may look a little moist but the mixture should not be raw). Lightly dust with icing sugar, to serve.
Using a good quality chocolate and dark cocoa ensures the most delicious result. Dark cocoa is available from specialty food shops.
No comments yet.