Mocha Hazelnut Mud Cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tblsps instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 x 200g blocks dark chocolate, chopped
- 300g unsalted butter, chopped
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 2/3 cups caster sugar
- 2 x 100g packets hazelnut meal
- 2 tblsps coffee-flavoured liqueur
- 1 cup Dark Choc Melts, melted
- Icing sugar mixture and frozen mixed berries, to decorate
1. Grease a deep springform cake pan (26cm base). Line base and side of pan twice with baking paper.
2. Combine cocoa, coffee powder, water, chocolate and butter in a medium pan. Stir over a low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture, hazelnut meal and liqueur.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into lined pan. Cover pan loosely with foil.
5. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and cook a further 1 hour, or until cooked when tested (cake should be slightly wet when tested). Stand cake in pan for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 4 hours, or until cold.
6. Meanwhile, place melted chocolate into a medium snap-lock bag and squeeze into one corner. Twist the bag and then snip the end. Pipe seven 8cm squares onto a large sheet of baking paper, in a criss-cross pattern. Stand at room temperature until set. Carefully lift squares from baking paper.
7. Remove cake from pan and place onto a large serving plate. Dust with sifted icing sugar mixture and decorate with chocolate squares and frozen mixed berries.
Cake can be made up to three days ahead. Store in an airtight container until serving.
No comments yet.