Chocolate Celebration Cake
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 375g unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 400g dark chocolate, chopped
- 600ml tub thickened cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar mixture
- Chocolate curls and extra cocoa powder, to decorate
1. Grease two 22cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper..
2. Combine cocoa, coffee and water in a bowl. Beat butter and sugar in electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in cocoa mixture then combined sifted flours and milk in three batches. Divide among pans.
3. Cook in a moderate oven (180C), swapping pans halfway through, for 1 hour, or until cooked. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
4. Stir chocolate and cup of the cream in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until smooth. Cool to a spreadable consistency. Beat remaining cream and icing sugar until peaks form.
5. To assemble, split cakes in half. Sandwich together with a third of the chocolate mixture in between layers. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Spread cake with cream, smooth with a large palette knife. Decorate with chocolate curls. Dust with extra sifted cocoa.
No comments yet.