Carrot and Pecan Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 250g grated carrot
- 100g cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Brush a deep, 23cm square cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Combine the eggs, oil and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add the sifted flour, soda, salt and cinnamon, and beat with electric beaters until the mixture is smooth. Add the nuts and carrot; stir well to combine.
3. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Set aside for at least 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Spread with cream cheese icing (recipe follows) and sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired.
Cream cheese icing
4. Using electric beaters, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar in a small bowl until light and creamy.
Add 1-2 teaspoons of warmed honey mixed with 2 teaspoons of milk to this basic recipe for a honey flavoured icing.
No comments yet.