Barbecued Salmon with Cucumber Spaghetti & Tomato Sauce Dressing
16 baby beetroots (beets)
2 telegraph cucumbers, washed and then put through a mandolin or cut into long thin strips that resemble spaghetti
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) orange juice
60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) Pernod
4 x 180 g (6 oz) Atlantic salmon
fillets, skin on, bones removed
olive oil, for cooking
2 French shallots, finely diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped chervil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) extra virgin olive oil
50 ml (11/2 fl oz) red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
100 ml (31/2 fl oz) tomato ketchup
a few drops of tabasco sauce
splash of Worcestershire sauce
1. To cook the baby beetroot, preheat the barbecue to medium–high. Wrap the beetroot in foil and cook on the barbecue until tender. Cool and peel.
2. To make the cucumber spaghetti, combine the cucumber, orange juice, Pernod and a pinch of salt and leave to sit for 20 minutes, then drain.
3. To make the tomato dressing, mix together the shallots, herbs, olive oil, vinegar, tomato ketchup, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper.
4. Brush the salmon with a little oil and place on the barbecue hotplate or grill, skin side down, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden, then turn and cook for a further 3 minutes. Remove and leave to rest for a few minutes for medium–rare.
5. Toss the beetroots with a touch of oil and barbecue for 1–2 minutes to warm up.
6. Place the cucumber in the centre of the plate, with the dressing around the plate, top with the salmon and place the beetroot around the plate.
No comments yet.